Saturday, April 26, 2008

Perth - AFL

You can't visit an AFL state without going to a no-rules footy game. I chose Fremantle vs Geelong.

On the way to the Subiaco Oval, I noticed something different. Yes, a great, big, inflatable cock. Of course.

As it's ANZAC Day, there was a bit of a sing-song before we got going.

As I wasn't sure they would let me take photos, I sneaked in with the phone camera (as it goes, for no good reason - photos are fine). If you squint a bit, you can see the first punch-up of the game. Predictably, this was before the game even started.

There's a lot of good luvin out there.

And the crowd went wild-ish.

That's the goal. If you get it through the middle, you get 6 points. If you miss, you get a mark for effort.

There's quite a lot of running around and hitting people. I think you get some sort of extra credit for hitting someone on the other team. And these are the half-time kids!

And that's it.


For the record, I'm none the wiser, really. I kind of get the marking and the scoring but, judging by the crowd reaction around me, there are a whole set of byzantine rules about tackling - though, to me, it just looks smacking the other blke in the mouth and nicking the ball.

Needless to say, the referees (there are 6!) are blind old gits who would be better employed knitting socks. Though sometimes they do make wise decisions under difficult circumstances.

No comments: